Posted on May 13, 2011 by Jennifer Brady
Chad J. McGuire, an Assistant Professor of Environmental Policy in the Department of Public Policy at the Dartmouth Campus has received a book publishing deal with publishing house Taylor & Francis. The book will be an academic text with the proposed title of “Environmental Decision Making in Context: A Toolbox.” Professor McGuire, who heads the graduate online certificate program in environmental policy, has long felt there is the need for a more comprehensive academic text that looks at environmental problems from three main themes: science, economics, and values.
“In teaching in the environmental field for the past seven years, I have found the available academic textbooks lacking in a comprehensive overview of how environmental decisions are made, especially from a process-orientated standpoint” noted Professor McGuire. “This is especially true in terms of pedagogy. The text not only aims to combine major themes of environmental decision-making, but also to offer these materials in a context of learning that focuses on mimicry, experience, and reflection. The book will provide a basic grounding of theory, apply the theory to concrete examples, and allow students opportunities for personal and shared reflections from their experiences.”
Professor McGuire noted the text is also being made with online learning in-mind. Specifically, the text will offer case study reinforcement that will work hand-in-hand with the content that is developed for the online course itself. Professor McGuire plans on using the text in a number of courses he offers online including: environmental law, environmental policy, and ocean policy & law.
The book is planned to be completed in the spring of 2012, with a publication date of fall 2012.
To find out more about Professor McGuire, please see the following links:
- Personal page at UMass Dartmouth: http://www.faculty.umassd.edu/chad.mcguire/
- Personal page of academic research and publications: http://works.bepress.com/chad_mcguire/
- To find more about Taylor & Francis Publishing, please see here: http://www.taylorandfrancis.com/
Permalink | Trackback | Print This Post
- UMass Dartmouth Online Professor and Student Span Distance for Collaborative Research Success
- UMassOnline and UMass Campus Officials in Upcoming UCEA Conference Panel
- A Follow-Up to Recently Announced ‘Green’ Programs: Green Workers Have More Job Security
- UMassOnline Launch of Green Programs in the News
- Big Surge in Green Jobs Anticipated Ahead